At Kiwi Self Storage we are dedicated to a creating sustainable future. We want to help lead New Zealand’s transition to a resilient, zero-carbon economy for the benefit of all Kiwis.
As such we are proud to be New Zealand's first and only Toitū carbonzero certified self storage organisation. This means our self storage facilities have effectively neutralised their carbon footprint to achieve net zero emissions.
Why the Toitū carbonzero certification?
1. It is the first greenhouse gas certification program in the world to achieve international accreditation. This means our certification is recognised in over 60 countries.
2. Toitū carbonzero certification means our carbon footprint, emission reductions and offsets have been independently verified.
3. Toitū carbonzero programme requirements meet and exceed international standards and best practice, including ISO 14064-1 and the GHG Protocol.
2. It was developed from solid science at Landcare Research, a New Zealand Government owned Crown Research Institute.
3. So our customers can be sure we have been assessed comprehensively to the most rigorous international standards available for measuring and managing a carbon footprint.
The certification process:
1. We MEASURE the greenhouse gas emissions associated with running our self storage facilities, including electricity, business travel, fuel, paper, and waste.
2. We commit to MANAGING and REDUCING these emissions by setting targets and reporting on emissions reduction performance.
3. Toitū carbonzero AUDIT our emissions on an annual basis.
4. We MITIGATE the emissions we can’t reduce by purchasing verified carbon credits from the New Zealand Emissions Unit Register.
Kiwi Self Storage meets the requirements of Toitū carbonzero certification having measured our greenhouse gas emissions in compliance with the requirements of ISO 14064-1:2006, committed to managing and reducing its emissions and neutralised our remaining unavoidable emissions through the cancellation of an appropriate number of verified carbon credits in respect of the operational activities of our self storage facilities.
Carbon Credits - Turning our carbon emissions into native forests
All emissions created by our business are offset by purchasing verified carbon credits which help regenerate native forest in the Puhi Peaks, Kaikoura. Puhi Peaks Permanent Forest Sink Initiative (PFSI). PFSI promotes the establishment of permanent forests on private land giving the landowners the opportunity to earn emission units for the carbon absorbed by their forests. These are "gold standard" carbon credits for growing native forest with biodiversity and add-on benefits of protecting New Zealand's endangered native birds including the critically endangered Hutton’s Shearwater. The only seabird in the world that nests in the sub alpine environment of the mountains.